2010 Midstate Kart Club Memorial Day Vintage Karting Event
May 28-29th, 2010
Track: Midstate Kart Club, Springfield, IL
Written by: Gerry Booth
Sunny skies and warm weather greeted vintage kart enthusists to Springfield Illinois this Memorial Day weekend for the 5th annual vintage karting race and show. This event is hosted by the Midstate Kart Club with the assistance of Paul Booth. New to this year’s format was racing under the lights on Friday night. Night racing is a unique experience for drivers offering both cooler temperatures and different track conditions.
The event continues to grow drawing participants from New York, Florida, Minnesotta, Wisconsin, Missouri, Kansas, Iowa, Ohio and Kentucky.
The weekend began Friday morning with open practice, allowing drivers to make necessary adjustments and become familiar with the track layout. Competitors had the track until late afternoon when it was time to take a break and prepare for dinner. The Midstate Kart Club hosted dinner for drivers and family members at the track.
As the sun began to set, the lights were turned on and two heat races were ran. This year’s racing was some of the best and most competitive ever. As the points were totalled for Saturday’s main event, four classes had a tie going into the final and deciding race.
Saturday morning began with a kart show and judging. Show winners were Dick Teal, Phil Riley, Todd Runge.
The trophies for this year’s racing event and kart show were provided by Sonny Gerber and Bobby Lee. Additional sponsors for the event and gifts were provided by:
- County Market.
- Bobby Lee and Sonny Gerber.
- The Swenson Family.
- The Runge Family.
- Gil and Danny Birge.
- Sportsman Jr. 1st place: Dylan Runge, 2nd Blake Fultz
- Mac 49er: 1st place: Brian Espeset, 2nd Mike Morrall, 3rd Dick Teal
- Stock Appearing: 1st place: Nip Swenson, 2nd, Josh Booth, 3rd Ron Brookman.
- Single Engine Rear 6.1: 1st place: Bobby Lee, 2nd Pearl Gamble, 3rd Pete Williams
- Single Engine Rear 8.25: 1st place: Hal Orndorf, 2nd Jim Thompson, 3rd Billy Dalton
- Single Engine Sidewinder 6.1: 1st place: Bobby Lee, 2nd Bob Noel, 3rd Joe Cento
- Single Engine Sidewinder 8.25: 1st place: Ron Funkhouser, 2nd Jim Ryder, 3rd Chris Daniel.
- Sportsman Senior: 1st place: Pearl Gamble, 2nd John Stults, 3rd Lyle Caswell
- Dual Engines: 1st place: Hal Orndorf, 2nd Rodney Fish, 3rd Pete Williams.
- C-Open: 1st place Jeff Barnett
- Iron Man Award: Pearl Gamble.
- Hard Luck Award: Jeff Miles.
- Farthest Distance: Ernie Shores from Florida and Victor Bent from New York.